Monday, October 24, 2016

Review of the Cathar Tarot by John Matthews and Wil Kinghan

Cathar Deck Review

The Cathar Deck comes in a beautiful box that is very easy to open thanks to a little silk ribbon tab. You see on the box “The Cathar Tarot The Secret Wisdom of the Perfecti” by John Matthews and Wil Kinghan.
My first question was what is the Perfecti? Well, I was answered on page 13 of the book:
“The 22 cards of the Major Arcana, known as the Book of Life, describe the journey of the Bonjomme (Good Man or Woman) on his or her path from Credent (Believer) to Parfait (Perfect). Perfecti is plural for Perfect.
The book that comes with the cards is full of information about the Cathars. The Cathars were a spiritual group that ended up pretty much in southern France. They were pretty much wiped out in the 1200's by the Albigensian Crusad.es. Page 104 gives some translated (by Caitlin Matthews) pages of actual Cathar writings!
There are three unique spread for the Cathar cards- The Cathar Cross, The Court of Wisdom, The Grail Knight. I did the Court of Wisdom spread, you can see the layout and the cards in the pictures. I have to say the cards were very accurate and related to what is going on in my life.
The cards have a nice feel to them. They are sturdy and a bit wider than normal. They shuffle easily. I am always concerned with the size and sturdiness as I have wrist and hand problems. These I can work with. There are 78 cards, but if feels like more. They have a nice gloss to them, the artwork is beautiful. I do wish there were explanations of the symbols and artwork in the book for each card, but the meaning of the card is done well, the divinatory meanings (both upright and reverse) are done well.
The book is easy to understand, and information builds upon more information. There is information on Getting to know the deck, activating the cards, and Further Reading and Resources!
There is also information telling the relationship between the Cathar deck and a regular Tarot deck.
Such as The Fool is now the Bonhomme.
The cards definitions are based on the Cathar's belief system. They are very different from the Catholic belief. I found myself becoming more and more intrigued with the Cathars, and the life they lived. For that I am grateful.


All in all, I love this deck and look forward to getting more and more acquainted with it in the coming years.  The Deck is available to purchase now, it will be out Dec. 20th, 2016 as far as I know









No comments:

Post a Comment