Thursday, February 16, 2017

Magical Destinations of the Northeast: Sacred Sites, Occult Oddities & Magical Monuments by Natalie Zaman review

Magical Destinations of the Northeast: Sacred Sites, Occult Oddities & Magical Monuments

by Natalie Zaman


  •  Llewellyn Publications (October 8, 2016)
  • ISBN-13: 978-0738747903


  • I have to be honest, as always.  This book totally blew me away.  I didn't expect as much information packed into only 432 pages.  The author is Natalie Zaman, and she really does take you on a Magical Mystery Tour LOL.   She covers Washington, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

There is a nice resources section in the back of the book, and a really nice Index.  You all know me, I love the resources section of a book, and I firmly believe every book should have an Index. This Resource section is one humdinger! Be prepared to lengthen your 'must have' booklist!  There are plenty of urls also!

This is the kind of book that not only makes you want to travel to these places, but it also is entertaining and absorbing just to read it! I got to looking through it, looked up and 2 hours had gone by.  The first thing I saw was on page  201 The New York City Tarot Tour.  Did you know there is a clock on the Schwarzbock Building (between 31st and 32nd Streets) that has Merlin the Magician who hourly waves his wand, causing a black smith to forge Excalibur, and the Lady of the Lake to rise up and bless those who are watching? I didn't know that either! And how cool!

There is a place in Connecticut called Gillette Castle that has a gallery dedicated to Pamela Colman Smith!
 The actor William Gillette   bought the castle, Pamela was his cousin on his mother's side. This is the only display of her art in the country.


I grew up in Kentucky, I am now living in Pennsylvania.  I was so surprised to find out all the cool stuff here!  There is a place where you can strike rocks that will chime! There is a Megalith Park with standing stones! I didn't know that eastern PA is said to be the most haunted region of the country!
There are all kinds of seasonal activities from Faerie Festivals, to a Burning BIRD (not man) festival to an Albatwitch (apple witch) festival in early Sept.

There are hex signs all over, showing evidence that Pow Wow magic is still running deep through the land. There is a war dog memorial and a wolf preserve.  There are places that are strongly connected to the old German and Norse spiritual belief systems. And to top it all off, there is:
The Mazar of Sheikh M. R. Bawa Muhaiyaddeen -  This is a grave, with whitewashed walls and a domed top, the first of its kind in the United States, dedicated to the lifestyle of the Sufi teacher who lies there- the mystical branch of the Muslim faith.

I found out that Glinda the Good Witch was from Washington DC.  I didn't know that one can view the complete collection of the Library of Congress's magical material at their url! AND she provides the url! ( I checked and it works!)

This book is everything you expect from the title, and much, much more!
Highly recommended.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete