Saturday, February 4, 2017

The Path of a Christian Witch by Adelina St. Clair review

The Path of a Christian Witch
Adelina St. Clair
 Llewellyn Publications; 1 edition (July 8, 2010)




Contents
Chapter 1 Foundations
Chapter 2 The Search
Chapter 3 The Merging
Chapter 4 Living in the World: To Worship, to Seek, to Love
Chapter 5 Spirit in Action: Ten Rituals for Everyday Life
In Closing
Appendix – Comparative Chart
Glossary
Bibliography

        Starting with the author's journey with a feeling of belonging within the Catholic church to her winding up in a Wiccan group, this book covers the 'in between'. She was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic school I myself can't relate to that, as I grew up in a Protestant Christian environment. There were no statues, etc. So reading this book made me wonder about the Catholic church. There seem to be a lot of similarities between Catholicism and Wiccan ways.
        Why does the author call herself a Christian Witch? Why not just be a witch? Or a Wiccan?
“I am keeping the Christian aspect because I have no reason to give it up. All my life I have been blessed in the most amazing way. Every time I have been in need of anything, I have been answered. For as long as I can remember, I have been talking to Jesus and Mary. I can not turn my back on such a friendship”
      She tells of her feelings toward the Catholic Church throughout the book, and gives her reason for not 'following blindly'. One thing most people who have turned from Christianity to the earth based religions and beliefs such as Witch Craft, Wicca, Hedge witchery, Kitchen witchery, etc. all have in common is a disgust of the hypocrisy of the leaders of the Church system (Catholic or otherwise) and an inner pain from the degradation of women within that system.
         She tells of finding the Wiccan School she joined, and how she could telepathically send and receive messages with those in the school, and how the school had people who acted as 'guardians' standing between the students and the street to protect the students from any psychic attacks.
        She speaks of how the church started and grew out of revelation knowledge of the disciples.
She tells of the Ten Commandments and how God says you must have no other god besides Me (Exodus chapter 20) Then she explains how one branch of Judeo-Christianity has what is called
'monotheism by inclusion' which says there are many gods who have merged into one entity – many names, One God. From what I know that is just plainly dictated by the doctrine or dogma of the branch of Christianity you follow.
       In one place she says “ Ever since I was a child, Jesus has been my confidant, my solace, and my counsel. He would come to me in my dreams and answer the most profound of existential questions, and without effort I would understand”


   It is like this throughout the book, I am giving a bit of a warning here. According to the writer, everything came easy to her, she has talked with Jesus and Mary all her life, instantly able to achieve any spiritual-energetic goal she has set for herself. All of her prayers have been answered in tangible ways, and she has never been in need of anything. Evidently she has not had to face any trials in her life, just hurt feelings sometimes. I can not relate. It is interesting reading. So if you have had a hard life, you might have some trouble reading this book.
      There are a few things in the book that are stated as facts and they are not. For example the tale of St. Brigid of Kildare. One example is where she says Brigid was raised as a Druid. That is said in various places, but a thorough search reveals that it is believed in Ireland (where she was from) that she was given to a Druid to work as a child and later returned home. A common enough practice which makes me tend to believe it.



       If you look at the last third of the book, there are some ideas for rituals, and a comparison chart between Christianity and Paganism. Please keep in mind that throughout the book when she says Christian or Church she is referring to the Catholic Church. She gives a Wheel of the Year also, an explanation of the various holidays the Pagans hold throughout the year. She tells you how to cleanse your space to get rid of negativity, how to do a ritual, how to meditate, how to make a sacred space.
       Also, throughout the book you must remember that she is following a Wiccan path. So the Law of Three is valid for her, but if you are just a witch not a wiccan, you do not have to follow that in your personal creed. I do think that continually stressing that she is following a Wiccan path would have helped tremendously in understanding the book better.
She touches on the meanings of some 'witchy' things, this book is not a 'how to' it is a story of how she got to where she is now.
        The Bibliography is very eclectic, I enjoyed looking at it, and found one book I need to get!
   Overall, I think it is a good book if you are looking to read a person's journey. If you want to learn how to BE a Christian Witch, it is ok, but not a step by step how to.









No comments:

Post a Comment